(I think there are many contributing factors here...for this...one is the lack of actual rides. That is what I am coming to Disney for. Yes, I enjoy soaking up the atmospehere as much as the next person, but a Disney Park is a theme park and is supposed to also have attractions for me to enjoy. Of which I particularly enjoy about 5 of in the entire park. I can add a few more to the list when spending time there, but on a normal visit...about 5 is about right. Two is the fact that my husband doesn't particularly enjoy going here with me, so I go alone usually. He finds this park boring. Maybe part of that is related to the fact that the first time we went here, he got really sick that day, unrelated to the park, and because of that, has never really had any desire to go back. Three is because of the park's limited hours...it is closed super early, even in the summer. I think the best time to go to a park is at night. They have a special kind of energy and because I'm never able to visit after the sun has set in this park...well, that energy hasn't really hit me yet, I guess. Woah...did I go off on a tangent....)
Well...now that I've officially had my therapy session about Disney's Animal Kingdom....
Let's dive right into the topic for the day...which is despite my lukewarm feelings for this area, it really does have the same theming that the rest of the parks have. Actually, in ways, it has even more! So today, we are going to look at 15 fun facts for the park's 15th anniversary about why you (and I) should appreciate DAK just a little more and what helps to make this park extra special.
- For a small donation, you can join Disney in their efforts to help wildlife with the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund. You'll even get a button for contributing!
- Why does my straw feel weird? Because it's made of paper! Because the park is very animal conscience, there are no plastic straws found in the park whatsoever.
- If you are stopping at the Dawa Bar in Africa, make sure to listen closely! The area is filled with the "neighbors" of the area making noise!
- Make sure to really look at the details in the queues at this park. while they are done well in the other parks, DAK really makes the queue the beginning of the story, giving you really in depth clues as to what you may be expecting and fun little gags that enhance your wait.
- While many dislike the Chester and Hester Dinoland USA area, because it feels like a roadside carnival, it really is themed quite well. (Yes...to a roadside carnival!) Take a look at some of the shops and restaurants for really great gags! These guys have a sense of humor for sure!
- There are four different tours that you can take at Disney's Animal Kingdom. They are the Backstage Safari Tour, Wild by Design, Sunrise Safari (sorry, only available to Club level guests staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge), and Wild Africa Trek.
- There are more than 320 animals carved into the Tree of Life
- Have you ever explored the murals in Pizzafari? Each room represents different things. They are the Home Room, Nocturnal Room, Camouflage Room, Bug Room, Four Seasons Room, and the Upside Down Room.
- Make sure to talk to the Cast Members at the park. They are a wealth of knowledge about the animals there.
- In Dinoland USA, there is a replica of a Tyrannosaurus Rex named Dino Sue. She is a direct copy of the real version found at the Chicago Field Museum
- Got a vet wannabe in the family? Take them to Rafiki's Planet Watch. If you ask in the morning, they could tell you if there are any surgeries happening that day.
- Finding Nemo - The Musical is actually the third show to appear in the Theater in the Wild. The previous two were Journey into Jungle Book and Tarzan Rocks!
- Did you know that Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade does a loop in the park? There is actually a portion that goes through twice, allowing you to get really great photos during the second time around because most people leave.
- Make sure to check out some of the live entertainment like the Tam Tam Congo and Gi-Tar Dan\
- When visiting It's Tough To Be A Bug, make sure to check out the punny adds for bug movies...